Monday, February 14, 2011

A recipe from way back when...

Many of the moms I know, including myself, are looking for dinner meals to make that are are easy on the budget and not time consuming. Sometimes I revert back to meals I ate growing up. They give me the warmness feeling of home and as a mom, I understand why my mom made it. :) Kids love the potato chip and cheese topping...

Rigatoni and Ham Bake

Ingredients:
2 quarts of water 2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. oil 3 1/2 c. rigatoni pasta
2 c. diced cooked ham 4 oz. (1 c.) shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. butter 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
2 1/2 c. milk 2 oz. (1/2 c.) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. crushed potato chips paprika, if desired


(This picture from my phone does not do it justice)

Instructions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Boil water in large deep pot with 2 tsp salt and the oil. Add rigatoni and stir. Cook uncovered after water returns to a full rolling boil for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Drain and rinse under hot water. In a large bowl, combine cooked rigatoni, ham and 1 cup of cheese. In medium sauce pan, melt butter. Blend in flour, 1/2 tsp. salt and mustard. Add milk all at once. Cook on medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Combine sauce with rigatoni mixture. Turn into 2 quart casserole dish. Toss 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese with potato chips; sprinkle over top of casserole. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes.

*You could easily add in some peas to this meal for the veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment